Education and Resources
Are you currently involved in the design of a home or building in a designated bushfire prone area?
Our National Construction Code (NCC) Continuing Professional Development (CPD) course ‘Designing in Bushfire Prone Areas’ is a good opportunity to get up to date with NCC requirements.
Bushfires are a significant factor in the loss of buildings within Australia. During the 2019-2020 bushfires, over 3,000 homes were destroyed. Understanding the nature and behaviour of bushfire events allows practitioners to better design and build where these events pose a risk.
What will I get out of this course?
Upon completion of this course you will:
- Describe the principles of bushfire behaviour and how it impacts design.
- Explain the NCC bushfire provisions in Volumes One and Two.
- Outline the steps in the bushfire Verification Methods to develop Performance Solutions for bushfire protection.
- Determine a bushfire attack level (BAL) using Method 1 of the Australian Standard AS 3959:2018 (Construction of buildings in bushfire-prone areas) and select required construction.
- Recognise how designs for bushfire construction impact on vegetation and condensation management in buildings.
Is this the right course for me?
This course is the first in a suite of courses for design practitioners including architects, building designers and other specialist practitioners. However, it may also serve as a general introduction for other building practitioners including engineers, project managers (responsible for coordination of design), and stakeholders participating in the design of buildings in designated bushfire prone areas.
Where and how can I purchase the course?
This one hour course is available at the special introductory price of $44 (regular price is $55). You will need to create an NCC CPD member login and password, and once that’s done, just follow the prompts for secure purchase and payment.
Build your organisation’s understanding of the NCC with corporate CPD!
Completing an NCC CPD course can add value to you, your staff and clients by demonstrating your commitment to achieving quality, compliance and innovation as well as maximising your staff’s potential.
Our new corporate CPD service provides organisations the opportunity to manage the professional development and CPD obligations of their staff. The online register on the NCC CPD website provides ease of administration and cost savings as well as reporting, single corporate billing/invoicing and most importantly allocation of courses amongst staff as needed.
You can view all available courses here.